Friday 21 April 2023

artI v augI

i know why i dislike my Apple tablet.
besides the fact that it regularly crashes, i mean.
and besides the fact that when i pick it up it turns on a camera. and wants to take a photo of my crotch (i rest the tablet on my lap).


first, there is artificial intelligence. that's where the computer thinks better than a human. where it does the work better than a human could.
artI could control the world. it definitely will rule the world.

then there's augmented intelligence.
that's where the computer helps the human.
helps the human to work better. by supporting the way that the human works.
augI want to help humans to manage the world. to work smarter so that life is easier.

the Apple is artI. it doesn't care about how i want to work. it forces me to follow its own artI methods of best practice.

this post is typed on a ten year old android tablet. i want to type, the tablet allows me to type. with some support from a spell checker.
i want to send an email. the tablet allows me to send an email. the whole process is similar to -- but more efficient than -- wriing and posting a letter.
this is augI. me working. augmented by -- supported by -- a computer.


artI forces me to change the way that i think and work.
augI supports what i want to do. it allows me to work in a way that suits me.
in truth, this old tablet is rubbish. but familiar rubbish. proven-to-work rubbish.
I've learnt to understand it's quirks and limitations.

the new tablet wants me to change my thinking. change my doing. so far, its new ways are demonstrably worse. they fail the test of fit for purpose.

the new tablet is sitting in a cupboard. slowly going flat. waiting for a new owner. someone who is willing to be controlled by a computer.






Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===


As Conan says: What does not kill you
does not kill you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fully agree.