Friday 9 August 2024

egg haters

I'm sure I recently read that the current "requirement" is for personalised consumer services. I think it was travel -- trips tailored to suit each traveller's preferences.
Also, I guess, restaurants expected to cater for varying dietary requirements and fads. Websites, social media and computerised marketing are extreme examples, with content and advertisements filtered and tailored to appeal to each individual.
Then we have pop concerts. With 50,000 fans packed into one stadium to watch and listen to the exact same pop entertainment as 49,999 other fans.

Do we really want personalised? Or do we want mass hysteria?
Actually, we want and enjoy both. And we are provided with both. Because the entainment providers will do whatever makes money.

I have no strong opinion on this. I would love to join and enjoy the mass hysteria of a major event. But I would not, only because I am not fond of crowds.

This post is in response to some unfortunate news: a Taylor Swift concert cancelled due to credible threats by a violent nutter. That's a downside of mass events. They provide a single target for individual hatreds.
The old saying is, Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
But Mark Twain said, Put all your eggs in one basket -- then watch that basket. 
A single target is a single basket of fans needing to be protected. In this case, the protection worked.

Hey, in a post about threats of violence, I do not like the flippant (sorry)  subject line. So I'm sorry, again. But it fits.







Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===


Happiness is wanting what you already have
   

No comments: