Tuesday 27 April 2010

Support Groups Want to be Paid in Advance

What Agamedes sees, is a demand for money for nothing.

Do you need new -- lateral -- thinking for your own problems?
email nick leth at gmail dot com. Need solutions? No worries. Now.

The government has tightened up rules for getting money from Criminal Property Confiscation Grants. Now, you need to match government grants with your own money. That is, if you want a grant of $10,000 you first need to raise $10,000 of your own.

Many years ago, I was the President of the Gifted and Talented Children's Association. I was expecting to discuss ways in which we could help gifted & talented children. The first order of business for the new committee was, how could we get the government to give us money!

We had nothing other than concerned parents as members. We had no record of achievement, no plans for the future. All we wanted was a free handout!

Okay, so my amazement shows that I am -- still -- hopelessly naive. I just don't understand our dependence on government funding. I still believe that if we want something done, we should try to do it ourselves.

And if we prove that we have good ideas and ability to deliver -- then we can ask for government assistance to do even better.

Who are these people who want money? What have they done so far? Why is it "unfair to force community groups to fundraise simply to apply for a grant"?! (Mandy Stringer, executive director of Women's Health Works, reported in "Blow to support groups", The West, 27 Apr 10.)

Would it be "fair" for me to create a "community group" -- for example, me and my neighbours, demanding new street trees for our front lawns -- and to immediately demand government financial support? Perhaps it is... Perhaps I shall...

But I would like to see a community group demonstrate some competence before they get government funding. Unless the government specifically asked for the group to be set up.

Am I being naive? Am I being sensible? Are we far to dependent on government support? Or has the government truly outsourced all of its social responsibilities.

Independent thinking & independent analysis of your problems by
Agamedes Consulting. Support for your thought:
email nick leth at gmail dot com

No comments: