Thursday 28 November 2019

childhood lost

I almost feel sorry for Laura Newell. Her daughter in no longer a baby, she is growing up so fast. How does Laura know this? She sees it on a photo sent from daycare.

At home, does the daughter still sleep in a baby's cot? Laura doesn't mention it. She may not know. Perhaps the nanny has yet to send a photo.

Laura is worried about her daughter's future job prospects. Fast forward twenty years. Oh look, she will say, looking at the university social media site, Look, my baby is graduating! I wonder what she studied. My, hasn't she changed since I last saw her. As a baby.

Then Laura can spend the rest of her life wondering why her daughter -- you know, what's her name -- never bothers to visit.
===

Not to worry, at least it will cost nothing to bring up that daughter. If, that is, politician Patrick Gorman has his way. "Many parents (like me)," he writes, "already use long day care where education curriculums help social and brain development." Thank goodness for that, I can't imagine the poor kids would get much social or brain development in a politician's house.

"Give us a child till he's seven and we'll have him for life." Well worth the investment in "free education" eh Patrick?

Some poor devils, he continues (and yes, I paraphrase), some poor devils can't afford daycare so they are forced to work part-time. What, look after their own children? Horrors.
===

Here's a thought: look after your own children. Can't afford it? Don't have children. There are already more than enough people in the country.




Nick Lethbridge  /  consulting dexitroboper
===
"If we really did profit from our mistakes, I'd be rich" … per Ginger Meggs
===
   

1 comment:

Orry said...

Tough