Saturday 28 March 2009

What I Dislike about "Daylight Saving"

Do you need new -- lateral -- thinking for your own problems?
email nick leth at gmail dot com. Need solutions? No worries. Now.
I don't really mind that it's still dark, if I get up before 7 am. I mean, if I have to get up before noon, that's bad enough. A lack of light doesn't make it any worse.

I don't really mind that it's still hot and sunny at dinner time. I mean, if it's that hot, we'll have the air conditioner running.

I don't really care whether we're two hours different to the eastern states, or three. I don't really care that we spend three months with a two hour difference and one week with a three hour difference. I've been dealing with Ireland, setting up a visit, and they are nine hours behind WA. All it takes is the internet and some thought before the occasional phone call.

It doesn't bother me that countries which were once touted as being major trading partners -- and which are in our, WA, time zone -- spent three months with a one hour time difference. I don't deal with them. Businesses which do, have adapted with no complaint.

I don't care that there are a lot of young voters who have not had a chance to vote on daylight saving. If they turned 18 in the last few months then there is an entire legal and political system over which they have had no influence. Capital punishment, corporal punishment, shopping hours, federation, constitution... Take your pick, they have not voted for (nor against) any of those.

This is what really bugs me:

"Before going to bed tonight wind your clock back one hour." (The West, 28 Mar 09)

Wind "your clock" back! Your "clock"! Riiight...

  • Wind back the clock on the bookcase.
  • Wind back the clock by the TV.
  • Wind back the clock by the other TV.
  • Wind back the clock in the video recorder.
  • Wind back the clock that's part of the oven.
  • Wind back the clock in the microwave.
  • Wind back the clock in the car.
  • Wind back the clock in the other car.
  • Wind back the clock in the camera.
  • Wind back the bedside alarm clock.
  • Wind back the clock on the other side of the bed, the one for the short-sighted partner.
  • Wind back the clock which we only use when on holiday.
  • Did I miss any? Probably...

On the other hand, there is some good news...

The grandfather clock does not need to be wound back. It gave up the ghost -- stopped running at all -- after being wound backwards -- and forwards -- several times.

The mobile phone clock does not need to be wound back. I'm not sure which worries me more: That I could not find out how to change the phone clock, or that it changed itself without telling me...

Which reminds me:

  • Wind back the clock in the house phone handset. (It's okay, I'm sure that I still have the instruction book.)

That is what really annoys me about "daylight saving"!

Independent thinking & independent analysis of your problems by
Agamedes Consulting. Support for your thought:
email nick leth at gmail dot com

No comments: